Saturday, April 21, 2012

Meal Time (Yogyakarta, Indonesia)


So I am currently back on the island of Java in an old city at the foot of Mt. Merapi volcano called Yogyakarta (Yogya for short). I am living here for a month doing an internship with an NGO that is working and researching a method of Dengue prevention. Keep updated on my blog to see new pictures of the food I eat and things I see :)




"Nasi kotak" aka rice box given to all the staff at the office for lunch last week.
Yellow rice with sliced egg, chicken meatballs, some weird soya sauce sausage which I did
not end up eating, fried chicken strip, and fruit for dessert.

Es Campur. An Indonesia drink made from coconut milk, palm sugar, grass jelly
and green wormy looking jellies

I have no idea what this is called but it was really good. It was basically bean sprouts and shredded cabbage mixed
with tofu and a spicy peanut sauce

Quail eggs, tempeh, fried cow lung, Indonesian potato fritters, and clam satay. I'll pass thank you.

Instead of the body parts pictures above I opted for Soto with rice. Soto is an Indonesian chicken soup.

Rujak. Unripe fruit with a spicy peanut and palm sugar dipping sauce.

This was gross. Carbonated tea, but it was like apple flavored tea. Yuck.

Old ginger and turmeric drink. Tasted like medicine, but apparently it is full of antioxidants.

Indonesian fried chicken and duck with a yummy garlic chili sambal

Oxtail with rice (wrapped in fresh banana leaf), fried tempeh, and Indonesian crackers