Friday, April 27, 2012

Bumbu Desa (Yogyakarta, Indonesia)

Cuisine: Javanese
Location: Jl. Kartini No. 8 Sagan, Yogyakarta

Today my boss took myself and two other colleagues for lunch at Bumbu Desa. I was not sure what type of restaurant it was, but was pleasantly surprised to see it was sort of a mix between the ordering styles you'd expect from dim sum and a buffet. All the food is laid out beautifully in bamboo baskets or large solid rock bowls and you pick what you want and they warm it up and bring it to your table where you can either share or eat it all for yourself. Instead of your regular ketchup and condiments, here they have an assortment of different sambals (ground fresh chili) such as garlic chili, green chili, fermented shrimp chili etc which you can scoop on your own and eat with your food.
(I don't know why but some the photos came out a little blurry, oh well)


Layout of all the dishes

Chicken, satays, fish, ribs etc



My favorite sambal station

YUM

The green one is my favorite


Es kelapa muda: young coconut drink with strawberry syrup. The other one has crushed ice and sweetened
condensed milk.