Monday, February 14, 2011

Crepe Works

I went to Crepe Works on Whyte Ave the other day to indulge in some tasty crepes. This Crepe Works is located about two shops down from the Starbucks on Whyte so it offers great pedestrian access and is in a convenient location. The place itself is isn't so much a restaurant as it is a cafe; you can order your crepe and leave or you can hang around and sit at one of the tables they have and eat your crepe while studying or hanging out with friends. The decor is modern and clean with bold uses of red and black colors.

Beside the till they have a display case displaying plastic molds of all the crepes they have to offer (7-8$). This reminded me a lot of some Japanese restaurants that use plastic imitation noodles and sushi to show you what the food looks like. I quite liked this idea because you were able to see exactly what your crepe would have in it and how much.

For savory crepes they offer things like the 'California Chicken' (chicken, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole), 'Vegitarian' (cheese, lettuce, guacamole, tomato, salsa), 'Ham and Cheese', and variations of either ham and chicken crepes. I don't quite like the type of chicken they use, its that fake foam-like chicken patty like they have at Subway.

As for dessert crepes they have quite a verity revolving around strawberries, bananas, oranges, and nutella, custard, whip topping and chocolate sauce. The "Strawberry-Banana Delight" (I think that's what it was called) was strawberries, banana, whip topping and chocolate sauce. They also have a blueberry and cream cheese one, a cinnamon apple crepe, nutella and coconut flakes, banana chocolate and custard, etc etc, you get the jist.

Crepe Works also serves coffee and espresso and gelato.

The owner/crepe maker makes each crepe fresh in front of you. I quite enjoyed watching how the crepe itself is made, watching how they pour the batter and spread it out using whatever that device is called.

Today I had the California Chicken savory crepe and my companion had a banana/chocolate/custard/whip topping crepe. My crepe was okay. It had a lot of guacamole in it which was an A+ for me because I love guacamole. it was fresh and very garclicy. The salsa was a nice touch too. My only complaint would probably be the chicken, I just didn't really like it, especially since it was cold. As for the banana crepe that  it was very good and tasted as expected. The banana was sliced in front of us when it was made and was nice and firm (which I liked was happy about nice I have a fear of mushy bananas). There was lots of custard and whip topping, I am happy they did not skimp out on any of the ingredients.

Overall I quite liked Crepe Works, but I think I will stick to the dessert crepes next time. There was just something unsatisfying about the savory crepe I had. Maybe because it was cold, I don't know. But next time I'm going to just get a banana strawberry chocolate one, or a nutella one :)

PS. Do not underestimate the size of these crepes, I could not even finish mine because I was so full :p


Cali Chicken Crepe

.:.

Banana chocolate crepe